Sunday, September 2, 2012

Background info...

For those of you who are reading this and are kinda wondering where did this come from.  I thought I would offer some background info.  I sent out an e-mail about a month or so ago kinda explaining what had been going on in my life...so here is that recap!

I wanted to write and tell you all about what God has been doing in my life the past few months!  First of all I have decided to take a break from nursing for 9 months and go to a ministry school out in Redding, California.  I know this kinda makes me sound like a crazy person, since I have a great job and I own a house here in the cities!  But, I truly feel this is where God is leading me!  So now you are probably all asking the same questions...Why? How? What? Where?When?... thus let me offer a little bit more insight.

WHY....is probably the question most burning on everyones mind, thus I will start here.  This past April I took a trip out to California with two of my college friends to visit a few other friends/family.  The last stop on our trip was visiting my friend Laura who had been going to a ministry school associated with Bethel church in Redding California.  While visiting her I had the opportunity to go to 3 different church services.  I was amazed at the presence of the Lord that I felt at this church.  Something seemed different, and I couldn’t figure out what it was.  Before leaving Redding Laura and her friends spent time praying and speaking into each of our lives.  I was amazed at the various things these people were telling me about myself.  Speaking as if they truly knew my heart, even though I had just met them.  The words they spoke truly felt like God was speaking right to me through them! 
After returning to Minnesota I had this intense hunger for God.  Something I had never felt before; unlike a spiritual high I have gotten from a youth conference!  No matter what I did I could not satisfy the hunger in my soul.  I started listening to sermons, reading my Bible more, dancing around to worship music, searching for different churches services, anything to satisfy this hunger.  Although it just got greater and greater! 
One night when I was talking with one of my friends about this hunger, he off handedly mentioned the idea of me going to this ministry school.  My immediate reaction was NO...how could I do that. I have a great job and own a house!  Thats not possible!  (But the second you say something is impossible God will make it possible!)
This planted the idea in my head and I slowly began thinking and praying more about it.  I went to some gatherings of people who attended the school this past year.  Here I learned more about their experiences and spent quality time in prayer and worship with our Father.  God continued to move in my heart and then I started to listen! 

HOW...was the next question that kept replaying in my mind.  I kept thinking this is impossible.  But at the same time I had this desire in my heart that kept getting bigger.  Thus I decided to take the first step of faith and ask my nurse manager for a leave of absence.  I was surprised at how understanding she was, and after a second meeting with her told me that she could not give me a leave of absence BUT, that she would give me a job when I come back!  What!! thats amazing I thought.  From here all the pieces started falling into place in a matter of weeks, thus confirming this is God’s plan.  I applied for the school, and had a phone interview.  The woman I had the interview with told me it would take 2-4 weeks before I would get an e-mail concerning my acceptance.  I got mine less than 3 hours after my interview ended!  The next hurdle was finding someone to live in my house while I am gone.  In under a week God had provided a girl from my church who is already friends with one of my current roommates!  Wow...in less than a month I had already gotten permission from work, acceptance from the school, and someone to live in my house.  If this wasn’t God saying YES then I don’t know what is! 

WHAT...exactly is this school?  Bethel Church in Redding California has a ministry school which people of all ages attend.  It is a three year program, although many people decided just to go for the first year (which currently is what I’m doing, unless God has other plans!)  The church  and school have a large focus on the Holy Spirit and how He works in and through our lives.  This is something I feel has been foreign to me in my understanding and practice of faith.  I feel like I know a lot about God the Father and Jesus, but little about the Holy Spirit.  Thus, I am anxious about what this next year will entail and I am going in with an open mind and a discerning heart for what God is going to teach me this next year.  

WHERE...seems fairly obvious by now!  Redding California is located about 2 hours or so north of Sacramento.  It is also just 2 and a half hours from my grandmas’s house!  Thus, I am hoping to be able to see her on occasion!

WHEN...does this all start?  September 11th is when classes begin.  My last day of work will be September 2nd and then shortly after I will begin the 30hr drive out to California which I know far too well from our family vacations!  I will be in California from September through May but coming back to the land of the cold for Christmas.  (I am a true Minnesotan and must get my snow fix). 

This concludes my short story!  I am excited for what God is going to do in and through me this next year.  I know it will be an incredible journey and I can’t wait.  I would love if you would keep me in your prayers this next year.  Thanks for all the loving support all of you have given throughout my life in various ways. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you Kelly!!! Can't wait to hear how the Lord will work his magic in your soul. I just started a blog about my faith journey as well! Check it out liljalove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete