Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Journey Begins...


My Journey started early Thursday morning at 8am.  Well, I guess for most people that's not too early, but when you are used to climbing in bed at 8am after working a night shift its early!  My car was packed to the brim.  Complete with my snowboard, bike, and kitchen aid mixer.  What can I say...a girl has got to have her necessities!  I was actually looking forward to the 30hr drive ahead of me!  The plan was to drive 13.5 hrs the first day and then 16.5 hrs the second and stopping in Casper, WY for the night.  Many people were shocked to think that I was going to take this long trip alone...but let me tell you I was not alone!  Let me introduce my travel companions...  First we have Mr. Gnome who's resides in my peace lilly....


Mr. Gnome actually belongs to my roommate Rachel.  Although, when He found out that I was moving to California he begged and begged Rachel to let him come.  He had never been to California before and thought that I could use the company.  It was greatly appreciated!   Travel companion number to was a huge 3 pound bag of gummy worms....

One of my coworkers thought they would come in handy during the long drive.  Sadly.... there where a few causalities. : (  Many of the gummy worms did not survive the trip!  But, they were sacrificed for a good cause (keeping me awake).  I also went through over a 12 pack of pop!  What can I say there are basically two things to do when you drive...snack and drink pop!  

I encountered the usual things people see when driving across the country.  Miles and miles of construction with your token person holding a "slow/stop" sign; along with a good rain shower.  Fortunately the rain happened when I was sleeping in my hotel room, which was a blessing!   The nice part about rain is often time you end up with beautiful sunrises due to the clouds.  Which I was extremely grateful for!

Not going to lie planning to drive 16.5 hrs in one day is a little insane.  Luckily since I drive slightly faster than my dad (who insists on driving 65 mph since that is how you get the best gas mileage) I made it in 15 hrs!  Although I did realized that you do in fact get less MPG when you actually go the speed limit (75) or slightly over at times :o)  I did make sure to take some stops along the way.  The necessary stops for gas, along with a couple stops at McDonald's (my favorite!), and Little America for a 50 cent chocolate cone!

I arrived safely at the Grandma's house at 8pm Friday evening (California time).  It is such a blessing to be able to have family so close while I will be at school!  I am spending most of my Saturday here at my grandmas, and then I will be driving up to Redding late afternoon (with a stop to see my cousin in Chico!)  I am still so amazed that this is actually happening!  God is so so good!  I truly appreciated all your prayers for a wonderful and safe drive (prayer answered...check!!)  I went through probably 14 Adventure in Odyssey tapes on my way out!  (and yes...they were tapes not CDs!)  

I am looking forward meeting the girls who are going to be my roommates.  Along with meeting all the people in my revival group.  FYI... my class of 1200 people is broken down into groups of about 70 people which they call revival groups.  Each revival group has a pastor and some interns.  It kinda serves as a way to make you feel like you have a community of people since 1200 is kinda a lot!  Thanks for the continued prayers!  Here are some current requests...

1.  A good sense of community will develop with my new roommates.  
2.  The transition of being in school again and not working will go smoothly.
3.  Overall that God will use me and and teach me more about him!  


No comments:

Post a Comment